Back Up.

23 Jun

Frequently.

Think once a month is enough? Twice a month? Nope.

Let me tell ya. Back up right now.

I’ve heard horror stories and felt the pain. You know how you think “Oh I am so so so sorry!” and at the back of your mind, you’re filing “Back up” in your to-do list, but fail to put it down on the Priority A notepad?

So, I lost all my files on one of my Seagate EHD’s. I’m in shock. Feels like wide-awake paralysis. Words fail to capture the sinking feeling, the despair, the disbelief, the devastation… so this pretty much sums it up:

Got as far as determining that I’ve lost a whole year’s worth of photos (2008), about a hundred thousand scans, about 3 years worth of design work, and all my music files. Oh, and those photos that I took as part of the official team documenting the first-ever Asian triathlon to be held in the Philippines in 2008 – yep, they were in there. I need to stop trying to recall what else was in there and hope for the best.

So if you happen to stop by my blogporch today, heck, let’s drink a kajillion iced teas to the geek gods that be, and hope that my prince in shining armor / geek god sublime / hubby manages to pull me out of this quicksand pit I’m treading in right now. And thank you for the prayers that you send to heaven along with mine.

13 Responses to “Back Up.”

1. champsarahjoy Sunday, 15 August 2010 at 12:27 pm #

oh..oh…oh…SO sorry!
    Prayers for you!

2. Kristina Wednesday, 14 July 2010 at 8:17 pm #

Oh I am sorry!!! I literally lay awake at night after this thought crosses my mind. My husband bought a 2nd “my book” and I will make time to day to do a 2nd back-up!!!! Keeping you in my thoughts and hope things get better!!!

3. Jeff Monday, 5 July 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Liv

I just experienced that same God-awful feeling. I did a wedding for the son of a long time friend, in New Jersey back in May. I am no professional, by any means. I took 2 cards worth of shots, each 2Gb. Making the long story short, I lost one card worth of shots, after I had edited most of them. I did not have a backup. What a fool I was. Now I have a 320G EHD. However, my pain is nothing compared to yours. But after reading your story, I am compelled to get another one to backup the first one. Jeff

4. OR Carol Friday, 25 June 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Oh, I am so sorry Liv. I too have felt that terrible feeling. My prayers are with you and hope you can recover. I love your work and after the Big Sprague Birthday I added your blog to my favorites. You were a big inspiration to me when I first started scrapbooking. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for the best!

5. Barbara Thursday, 24 June 2010 at 11:52 am #

Oh my gosh Liv. I so hope you are able to recover everything!!

6. Lori Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 9:18 pm #

OMG! That is devastating. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, prayers to St. Jude (patron of impossible situations) that you get your files back.

7. Meng Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 6:26 pm #

Oh no…. I can feel you, Liv. Happened to me more times than I’d like to count. Procrastination is our sickness, we women. 🙂 Don’t despair. You might still be able to salvage it.

8. Cheri Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Been there. Done that. Recently in fact. I hold out great hope that your files can be saved – mine were! 🙂

9. Megan Davis Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 2:30 pm #

Wow.
    That happened to me when my son was a year old. I thought I had completely lost all the photos for that whole year. luckily, my husband was able to buy some program that was able to pull all my files off the fried hard drive. I’ll definitely cross my fingers and hope that you will be just as lucky. Have you considered taking your computer to a computer fix-it store if you can’t save the files at home? I know there are a few companies out there that specialize in retracting files from fried hard drives. I hope everything works out for you!

10. Patti E. Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 11:28 am #

OUCH!!!

11. Kasandra Mathieson Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 11:24 am #

Oh my goodness, thanks for sharing and so sorry to hear! I’ve heard about online back up and think I will try that……reading this means I better get at it!! I do have 2 external hard drives but sometimes forget to transfer over….
    Please let us know what happens…….love the picture!!!

12. Melissa Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 11:15 am #

Liv – definitely sending prayers for the recovery of your files!! I was just researching a new computer and networking options today and one of my main questions was: what is the best way to keep it all backed-up automatically! Your post today just reaffirms that I need to be sure it’s all set up correctly from the beginning.

13. Rachel M Wednesday, 23 June 2010 at 11:08 am #

Oh my, Liv! That’s such a yucky feeling, no other way to descibe it. I hope your hubby is able to save it!