The Color Purple

28 Jul

Whew. Getting back on the boat after falling into the water can be difficult, especially if the waves have pushed you farther and farther away from the shore. Or more specifically, it’s quite a challenge to get back on the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenges when Real Life’s duties and demands have taken one away from one’s computer long enough to make one fall back by about 7 challenges. Yikes!

But there’s only one thing to do when one falls off a boat, and that’s to swim like heck and try to get back on.

So this is me, trying to get back on, and promising that I’m going to row through all the challenges I’ve missed too! (Tie me to the chair and insist on it if I don’t!)

For this week, the challenge was truly challenging with Purple as its theme. First of all, I don’t really like the color purple (the color itself, not the movie). No offense meant to those who do love it; in fact, it happens to be the favorite color of my mother-in-law whom I hold very dear to my heart. Personally, I prefer the more “boring” shades of white, browns, and blues. But I digress…

Luckily, just yesterday, a few hours before I sat down by my computer and checked out this week’s WordPress Photo Challenge, I happened to pass by a Filipino restaurant and couldn’t resist buying Guinataan, which is a Filipino dish whose name comes from the word gata, which is Filipino for coconut milk. (I love anything that has coconut milk!).

Guinataan is a dessert made with fruits (large bananas and jackfruit are musts), glutinous rice flour, sago or tapioca pearls, root crops (gabi or taro, kamote or sweet potatoes, ube or purple yam—add loads of it and you get the purple color), all mixed in with sugar and that heavenly coconut milk. Served hot on a rainy day, it’s the perfect comfort food (perfectly fattening too, I fear).

Voila! Comfort food, and purple one at that, left me with no further excuse for not getting back on track with the challenges.

And so, here we go:

{ Click on the image for a larger view }

Do you know how difficult it is to find a song that isn’t Purple Rain? 😆 But I did find one! From the original soundtrack of the Broadway musical Spring Awakening by Duncan Sheik, here’s The Song of Purple Summer:

With lyrics that go:

A summer’s day
a mother sings
a song of purple summer
through the heart of everything
and heaven waits
so close it seems
to show her child the wonders
of a world beyond her dreams…

I do think the message of hope and wonder is beautiful, and that makes the completion of this Purple challenge a joy for me. 🙂

Have a purple-summer-wonder-filled day, my dear friends! I’ll see you soon! 🙂

29 Responses to “The Color Purple”

1. The Retiring Sort Monday, 30 July 2012 at 12:39 am #

Yummy… And I would have gone to Deep Purple… (“when the deep purple falls over sleepy gardens walls…”) but then, I’m old – my kids listened to it!

• LivE Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 12:22 am #

old, you are not, my friend – just wise :D. thank you so much for passing by and for the deep purple vote – you brought a smile to my face! 🙂 loved your purple flowers too, by the way. 🙂

2. frizztext Monday, 30 July 2012 at 12:36 am #

to show her child the wonders
    of a world beyond her dreams…

• LivE Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 12:19 am #

beautiful words, aren’t they? 🙂 thank you for passing by, frizz!

3. Jessie Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 11:05 am #

Glad to see you back in the photo challenge, and also happy I’m not the only one who doesn’t LOVE purple!

• LivE Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 12:18 am #

thank you jessie! i’m glad to be back too, and just as glad to have the time to hop over and visit your blog too – i loved your “inside” photo and thought your letter to your baby girl was just precious. 🙂 see you around! 🙂

4. lolakojane Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 1:57 am #

That looks delicious (sarap!). Most of the guinataan for sale around our area has the coconut milk color….the purple from the ube makes it so bright. Thank you for visiting my blog, too! I like the photo of the boys playing on your blog header as well.

• LivE Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 12:00 am #

thank you very much, lola jane! 🙂 the ube flavor makes the guinataan so much richer than the usual milky-colored one. 🙂 thank you for visiting; i look forward to visiting your blog again! 🙂

5. Angelia Sims Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 10:54 pm #

You found purple! This is one if the few non-flower posts I have seen. Great photo! Reminds me of those sugary cereals that turn the milk a color. I have not tried coconut milk. Looks delish!! 🙂

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 11:22 pm #

thank you, angelia! i enjoyed your under-the-pier photos and your purple flowers too! i highly recommend coconut milk – it adds a really great flavor to food 🙂 hope to have you visit again 🙂

6. sutira Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Such a rich purple color for a dessert! Great post all the way!

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 11:17 pm #

thank you, sutira! i enjoyed checking out your beautiful photos on your blog too! 🙂

7. Madelaine Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Love the look of that interesting dish! And the poem is beautiful! 🙂

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:57 pm #

thank you so much, madelaine! 🙂

8. firstandfabulous Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:16 pm #

That purple concoction actually looks quite delish. Welcome back to the world of challenges. 🙂

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:47 pm #

it is, gemma! i wish i could send you some! 🙂 thank you, i’m keeping my fingers crossed that it won’t take me forever to catch up on the 7 others i’ve missed 😀

• firstandfabulous Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 8:47 am #

Persevere! Or just move on… 🙂

• LivE Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 12:13 am #

you said it! wise words; thank you, gemma. i’ll take the road of perseverance… keep your fingers crossed for me! heehee

• firstandfabulous Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 8:18 am #

Consider them crossed 🙂

9. Marianne Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Wow – I´m loving the purple dessert! 🙂

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:55 pm #

thank you, marianne! i absolutely enjoyed looking at all the photos on your blog, and especially enjoyed your medieval market shots! looking forward to my next visit 🙂

10. Chinie Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Deep Purple! How did you not choose “Deep Purple” by Donny & Marie Osmond? Oh that’s right. YOU didn’t grow up with an Osmond-obsessed Lally. o_o

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 6:57 pm #

i kinda got stuck equating donny and marie with “paper roses” and “i’m a little bit country” and “may tomorrow be a perfect day…” WAIT. i’m incriminating myself here, aren’t i? HAHAHAHA!

• Chinie Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Yes. Yes you are. 😀

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 9:56 pm #

haha. i’ll bet you were humming those very songs while reading the titles, right? come on, admit it… 😉 hahahaha!

11. cobbies69 Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 6:10 pm #

And this song is far better than purple rain, great post, original take on topic. :).

• LivE Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 7:00 pm #

thank you gerry! i thought your take on the “dreaming” challenge was moving and your “movement” take was certainly exciting! 🙂

• cobbies69 Sunday, 29 July 2012 at 3:34 am #

red blushes, but a big thank you… 😉