Of Dark and Light

13 Mar

I have always thought that there is beauty in difference. In contrast. In a juxtaposition of opposites. Chiaroscuro. Light-Dark. Laughter and tears. Somehow the knowledge and comprehension of one seems incomplete without the other.

Take, for instance, the most magical tapestry that hangs on the walls of castles: would our eyes have the chance to behold such stunning beauty without the crisscrossing of threads at the back?

But the key behind the beauty of opposites, I think, is not simply that both exist but that they do so in a peaceful manner, in a way that brings out the intrinsic and individual qualities of each. Kinda like Venus and Mars, no? 🙂

And this is why I particularly enjoyed this week’s theme for the WordPress Photo of the Week: Contrast.

Here’s my take on it:

{Click on the image for a larger view}

And this is where I have to admit that I couldn’t look at this photo without feeling the urge to hum along with Howie Day’s Collide:

Hope you have a wonderful week filled with bright days and magical nights, my sweet friends!

20 Responses to “Of Dark and Light”

1. tms Friday, 23 March 2012 at 11:52 pm #

Wow… I very much like this one (although I also quite enjoyed contemplating your other pictures, too).

• LivE Saturday, 24 March 2012 at 12:12 am #

thank you very much! you’re very kind. 🙂

2. Mizz Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Love the black and white! Classic

• LivE Friday, 16 March 2012 at 7:21 pm #

thank you very much for your kind words! 🙂

3. Amar Naik Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 7:25 am #

nice contrast

• LivE Friday, 16 March 2012 at 7:21 pm #

thank you, amar! 🙂

4. Cedric de Alicoque Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Nice deep contrast!

• LivE Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 3:36 pm #

thank you so much for taking the time to leave such kind words. i think your photos on your blog rock too! 🙂

• LivE Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 3:37 pm #

ps. thank you too for all the likes. 🙂 YOU rock! 🙂

• Cedric de Alicoque Sunday, 18 March 2012 at 2:00 am #

You do have great things here!

5. Photecstasy Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 8:42 am #

Another great post. I love your way with words!

• LivE Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 7:36 pm #

huh. so strange that the reply i wrote to you never came out here. 😛 so sorry about that, my friend – i *did* say thank you so much, and you are awesome, but some gremlin must have eaten up my reply post. annoying, that. but THANK YOU, yvonne. you are truly awesome! big hugs!

6. firstandfabulous Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 8:10 am #

Dark/light. Very nice. Love your photos. So true about the cold of winter supplying the sweetness of a warm summer. I LOVE that sweetness. Looking so forward to it. 🙂

• LivE Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 7:38 pm #

thank you so much! it’s been a crazy hectic week, but i’m so looking forward to this weekend so i can sit a while and come visit you on your blog! 🙂 big hugs to you!

7. conspiracyofravens Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 7:27 am #

I like the photo, it reminds me of a really brilliant scene in Fargo by the Coen brothers.

• LivE Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 12:39 pm #

why, thank you! that’s very nice of you to say! 🙂

8. Jessie Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 1:58 am #

I love that you put quotes under your photo challenge pictures, gives it that little something extra!

• LivE Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 6:28 am #

thank you so much! i love words and i love photography, so i jump at any chance to put both together haha! 🙂

9. prideinphotos Tuesday, 13 March 2012 at 9:36 pm #

I just started following your blog:) I found you from the designers at Jessica Sprague. I just finished taking the Art of Poster Design Class and can understand why she has such a huge following.. Lovin your blog.

• LivE Tuesday, 13 March 2012 at 11:01 pm #

thank you for following and for your kind comments! so glad that you enjoyed jessica’s poster design class – i checked out your blog and saw the wonderful results! delighted to have you visit; do come around again! (((hugs)))