So I admit it. I indulge. Every. Single. Day. And I don’t feel an ounce of guilt about it.
I’m speaking specifically of one thing, of course. Pizza. Guilt-free pizza!
I admit it, I can eat this daily not just because this pizza is totally allowed on my present diet, but even better, it’s super-healthy! I wish I could describe accurately what a great gastronomic delight this is (think of the scene in Ratatouille, where the mouse puts food in his mouth and experiences a whole symphony of bursting colors and lights and flavors. Yeah. That pretty much comes close).
I’ve never considered myself a creature of habit, but eating this is definitely one of the highlights of my every day. 🙂 Here’s how I go about preparing it in my kitchen (a place where I’ve been spending a lot of time recently!).
The Grocery List
Oh yeah. Gotta make sure we have these in stock (or a quick trip to the neighborhood grocery will be in order):
- green pepper
- portobello mushrooms
- spices and herbs
- mozzarella cheese (I’ve tried the squares and the fresh; I’d say go for the fresh cos it’s just heavenly)
- crackers (for the crust)
All set! And now, to make…
1. Chop (finely) the tomatoes, onions, green pepper and portobello mushrooms.
2. Mix well.
3. Add spices and herbs.
Here are the spices and herbs that I usually put into mine:
4. Lay 4 crackers on a tin pan. This base will be your crust.
I use Jacob’s Hi-Cal Original crackers, but you could totally substitute this with other crackers, bread or even dough, I’m sure, if you’re not on a diet anyway. 🙂
5. Lay mozzarella cheese over the crackers.
This infuses the pizza with cheesy goodness, with the added side-benefit of keeping the crackers together.
6. Spoon the veggies that you just chopped onto the cracker-and-cheese crust.
7. Lay more mozzarella cheese on top of the mixture.
I’ve tried mozza cheese strips (above), mozza cheese slices, and home-sliced mozzarella (below)… and they all work well, because all the cheese melts in the end and becomes a mass of delightful goodness!
8. Put the whole thing in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 180ºC (or until the cheese melts into a golden color).
Voila! Time to indulge! Without guilt! 🙂